Wednesday 15 June 2011

The Wiz

 Ms. R and Mr. W ham it up in Wiz costumes.

My all time favourite musical is "The Wiz".
When my school's arts committee was deciding on a Production to do for our Musical, I piped up, expecting it to be brushed off as "inappropriate" or "too difficult".  
Luckily, my school has the raddest, artsiest, most motowniest staff in Toronto.

I signed on as Director, with all of my teacher besties filling the roles of 
Musical Director, Stage Manager, Set Manager, and Costumes.
None of us had any idea what we were doing.  
It was one of the best experiences of my life!

 The Young People's Theatre donates their space to our school for our once-every-two-years musical, and I can't say enough good things about the staff there.  Every crazy vision I had ("can we show projections on a backdrop?" "can we have changing-colour floodlights bath an all-white set in colour?") they pulled off effortlessly and good naturedly.  They even gave me a headset!

 Our students were so excited to be in these dressing rooms.  Here, head of costumes and close personal chum Mr. W puts the finishing touches on the amazing crow costumes he made.

 Miss One, the Good Witch/Bag Lady, 
in a costume collaboration between my JK/SKs and myself.  
This kid is going to be a star.

My pride and joy: Toto's costume.
Look how cute!  This boy acted exactly like a dog for a solid hour.

Munchkin and Poppy costumes.
In "The Wiz", the Munchkins are playground grafitti that comes to life.  
For the costumes, we laid a bunch of these tunics on a brick wall backdrop, 
and I had a squirt-bottle paint party 
in my classroom after school one day.  Hilarious!

No comments:

Post a Comment